The city of Chiba is seeking to become the center of Muslim culture in Japan, aiming to attract tourists to visit and stay in the city.
Slowly, as the number of Muslims has grown, things are beginning to change.
Chiba city recently started offering Muslim or Hijab-friendly beauty services to Muslim women residing in the city.
These salons offer beauty services to Muslims in a separate room with all the same conveniences as the rest of the salon. Male employees or other male customers are not allowed in this private area.
- Female Technicians Only - All services are provided by female staff only.
- Private Service Spaces - Service spaces are secluded from the view of men, through reserving the entire store, separate rooms, separating the area with curtains or partitions.
- English Service Menus - Service menus in English are available.
- Halal Shampoo - Halal shampoo made from plants is used “without alcohol or animal-derived materials” – “some chemicals used in coloring or perms may include animal by-products; in this case, customers will be informed in advance”.
- Prayer Space – Prayer Space will be provided upon request.